07792 440 062
01769 550 644
Devon Energy Assessor
Frequently asked questions
How long is an EPC valid for?
EPCs are valid for 10 years, but the rating can change any time. For instance, if you replace your old gas boiler with a new condensing combi boiler or increase the amount of loft insulation, then this
would give you a higher rating than your current certificate.

What happens if your home gets a low rating?
This simply indicates your home could be more energy efficient. After the inspection a number of recommendations to improve the energy efficiency will be identified. Implementation of these could not
only increase your rating and reduce carbon emissions but also save money on energy bills. It is up to you whether you implement the recommendations or not.

What does the summary of the home's energy performance related features show?
On the "EPC Page" there is a summary of the dwelling’s energy performance. Each element (walls, roofs, heating system, etc.) of the dwelling has been given an assessment of the current energy
efficiency and environmental performance. The assessment is against the following scale: Very poor, Poor, Average, Good and Very good. The performance is assessed by the software on the basis of
age of property, construction type and features. This relates to performance, not appearance. It does not take into account the physical condition or quality of the element. Please visit the EPC page of
this website for an example of the above.

What is a Reduced Data Standard Assessment Procedure (RdSAP) Survey?
An accredited energy assessor visits the property and collects only the data required for assessing energy features, and creates the certificate based on the construction and type of dwelling and
relevant fittings (heating systems, insulation and double glazing for example). It is not a structural or building survey, condition report or property valuation, and an EPC should not be read as a
comment on the overall condition of the property, nor will it comment on the presence or otherwise of asbestos, high alumina cement concrete or additives including calcium chloride, or any building
defects or hazardous materials. It will not cover items or problems in the property which would be picked up in a building survey, which may be costly to rectify, as these are outside the scope of the
data collected.

I have added insulation to my house, but the SAP rating is low and the insulation is not shown on the EPC, why is this?
The RdSAP survey is a non-invasive survey and for insulation to be included in the assessment there must be evidence, either visual or documentary evidence of specific works relating to the property.
This means that if there has been insulation added, but there is no access for the energy assessor to inspect it nor documentary evidence, it cannot be included. In these cases the level of insulation is
assumed from the age of the relevant part of the dwelling. This applies to all insulation whether roof, walls or flooring.

My recent EPC makes the recommendation of changing my current boiler to a new “band A” boiler, but I have only recently had my boiler changed, why is this?
The EPC is looking at the potential energy performance of the property and in this case has identified that the current boiler is not the most efficient boiler available. The recommendation to improve the
boiler to a more energy efficient boiler is made purely on the energy efficiency rating of the boiler and does not take into account the age or condition of the currently installed boiler. This
recommendation identifies that there are more efficient boilers available and that a homeowner should consider this when they next have to replace the boiler.

What information do you require from the owner of the property?
Only some general information, where possible, about the property i.e. Age of construction, date of installation of double glazing etc.

How long does it take to produce an EPC?
I am usually at the property for 45-60 minutes taking photos and measurements. The drawing of the floor plans, working out the square footage and heat loss perimeters is normally completed at the
office. Once completed, these findings are input into a specialised software package that works out your ratings and produces the report and certificate. These are normally produced within 24/48
hours and despatched via first class post. Or if preferred, the RRN number (report reference number) can be emailed to you and/or a third party, from which you can download your certificate directly
from the government website.

When is an Energy Performance Certificate needed for holiday accommodation?
From 30th June 2011 holiday homes that are let out for a combined total of 4 months in any 12 month period will require and EPC. This is only relevant to buildings that are subject to building
regulations, meaning that caravans and mobile homes will be exempted.

We assess properties in Barnstaple and the surrounding areas of North Devon including Exeter and Ilfracombe.
To find out more contact us
Call Devon Energy Assessor on
07792 440 062 or 01769 550 644
for EPC rating in Exeter, Barnstaple, Crediton, Tiverton and surrounding areas of Devon